6 Ideas for a Parents Awesome Date Night
This post may contain affiliate links.
Before you have kids, you have no idea what a date night is. You go out to dinner, a movie, a sporting event or friends party without a second thought.
Then along comes baby #1 and everything changes. Instead of going out to dinner, we are trying to figure out who is going to stay up late with the baby and who is taking the early shift. Your independence completely changes.
It’s so difficult to get any alone time with your significant other, you might get an hour while the baby sleeps and you are not sleeping, but the quality time that you knew as a couple is no longer there. This is where the importance of date nights come in.
You might be so exhausted as a new mom or dad that you say, seriously, how can I think about anything but sleep. But date nights with your husband or wife, are so important. Once you have a baby, it is so easy to just get caught up in them and no longer connect with each other.
Here are my five favorites date nights to have with my husband:
- Trivia Night: Before we had kids, we were semi-regulars at trivia night at one of our favorite haunts. Now it’s tough to get to them, but they are so fun, give you a chance to get out without the kids and provide time to chat and do something a little different.
- Go on a brewery/winery tour: We had never been on a brewery or winery tour prior to having kids but were given a gift for a brewery tour, with babysitting included! We had a great time during the brewery tour, learning all about how it was brewed and then enjoying the lounge and samples after. It was a unique way to spend the day!
- Trying out a new Restaurant: I know, just to go out to dinner does not seem very original. But we love to try a restaurant we haven’t been to before, where we can eat, without any crying, whining, making sure the kids food is all cut up, eating fast enough before they start to get fussy. We take the opportunity to get a salad or app, dinner and dessert and to talk without our little girl saying, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me. It’s a great way to re-connect.
- Go to a ball game: Before we had kids, we loved going to Red Sox games. We went to at least 10 games a year without a second thought. Now, a night out to a ball game is a wonderful treat for us. We love watching the game, hanging out and chatting. Our passion for the game hasn’t changed but the amount of time we spend at the ballpark has!
- Go to one of your old haunts: We have a few places that we used to love to frequent in our pre-kids days – the restaurant where we had our first date, a bar/restaurant we used to go to for games or just to hang out on a Saturday afternoon. It has a nostalgia to go to these places. It is definitely one of my favorite date nights!
- Go on a Dinner Cruise: There is nothing like having dinner on a boat, followed by dancing, watching the sunset and beautiful views of the city at night. It is such a fun night out and provides great entertainment and plenty of opportunities to feel like you are truly dating your husband/wife again!
What is your favorite date night activity?